Goa is India’s one of those highlighted destinations that is popular for Lazing around in Parties. It has a long history as a Portuguese colony which is well preserved in the maintained 17th-century churches and the tropical spice plantations. Yes, of course Goa is known for Beaches, Goan Food , Cruises Water sports, shopping, and Carnivals. But, There are some offbeat amazing things to do in Goa to make you fall in love with the place.
Being close to Goa State, I had multiple trips there. There are various places and so many things to do in Goa. This place is not just for the Party lovers but also for family vacations, historic researchers, backpacker soul, and yoga lover.
So, One can travel to Goa Either by Road, Flight , Train. But the most newest and intriguing experiences is the luxurious Mumbai to Goa Cruise Ferry as it makes visiting Goa more fun and memorable. There are some not reached and less developed places in Goa which is a Secret hideout place for many. Apart from these, there are some places in goa that is not flashy but quite serene and peaceful. It is like the Bali of India.
How to reach Goa?
- By Train : Trains to Goa depart Mumbai ,Lokmanyatilak Terminus, which is in Kurla, in the north eastern suburbs of Mumbai and Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus. The central or main railway station in Goa is Madgaon (MAO). It is located in South Goa. And If you’re traveling to the north Goa beaches, try to get a train that stops at Thivim (THVM).
- By Flight : Goa has one airport which is Dabolim Airport or Goa Airport (IATA: GOI, ICAO: VOGO). It is 28km from the Airport to Panaji.This is not the most preferred Route for people living in nearby State. However, for People living in North India or East India or Foreigners this is the best option.
- By Road : The driving distance between Mumbai and Goa is 609 km.It is just a 12 hours drive from Mumbai . You will see mezmerizing Western Ghats on the journey and experience amazing green views en route
- By Cruise : This is the first domestic luxury Cruise. It is made specially for making the Water way route from Mumbai to Goa more memorable. Angriya, is a luxurious 7-deck ship that features bars, restaurants, swimming pool, and discotheque.And it takes 14 hours to reach Goa.
What are the non miscellaneous things that one must not miss to do in Goa ? Visit the Off Beat Beaches
Goa is blessed with some of the most stunning beaches. There are beaches which are secluded and private, but there are beaches that are like a typical Tourist spot, overcrowded. But to each your own. Surrounding these beaches there are so many places to see , you will never know how time flies
If you are a beach lover then it will be impossible for you to drag yourself away from the alluring beaches of Goa. And why not if you can do free things on the beach which is Observe the Calmness of the Water and have the best time of your life.
Most Known Beaches and a favorite amongst all generation
- Baga beach : This is the most crowded Beach of North Goa. But there are plenty of water sports, tattoo studios, fun activities on this beach. There are some amazing Beach Facing Restaurant with Candle light dinner and Live musical happening.
- Candolim Beach : This Beach is near to Calangute. It is a popular tourist destination especially for honeymooners.It is less crowded and you can indulge in some Yoga Retreat Activities nearby. The best things to do is enjoy catamaran sailing, banana rides, surfing, bump rides, parasailing and paragliding.
- Calangute Beach : It is located in North Goa. You can easily relax on the Shacks and have your feets massaged while you enjoy the sunset.
- There are other beaches like Baga, Anjuna,Colva, Palolem, Vagator and many more. It all depends on your mood and type of vacay that you are looking for. All these beaches have different crowd and vicinity.
Secret Beaches in Goa
- Butterfly Beach: This is one of those unexploited beach and it is becoming a buzzing tourist spot in Goa. The reason why is it named as Butterfly Beach is because you can spot millions of butterflies flying over the hilltop blossoms. It also has picturable landscapes , the golden sands against the warm blue water which creates a postcard perfect location with palm trees and scores of butterflies. This golden beach is a well known site to spot some playful crabs ,dolphins and goldfish.
- Galgibaga Beach: For Animal lovers, this is one of the places to see and be. Galgibaga beach is known for being one of the peaceful nesting places of the famous and not so extinct olive ridley turtle. With silvery sands, clear water and gardens of coconut and pine trees,this place is a love for the turtles. And once you visit this beach you will fall in love with it too
- Kalacha beach : This is most picturesque beaches in North Goa, best known for its bohemian vibe and pleasant new water tidal pond. You will meet some of the voyagers from different parts of the world. And if you are lucky, you can also spot exotic birds and monkeys :
- The Tiger Beach :Also called as Kakolem beach. This beach is secluded and one of the most natural beaches in Goa. Writers can definitely get some inspiration while their stay on this beach. :
Where to stay in Goa ?
There are various options available in Goa. There is Budget Stay or Luxurios Stay or Family Villas.Also the Prices vary considerably depending on season so I haven’t listed prices but have links to Booking.com so you can check the most up to date prices for your dates for yourself.
If you’re on a tight budget you can find the basic, cheap accommodation but most of these are not available to book online yet – you’d have to show up and explore around to find them. If you are travelling with your group of friends then you can wander and do a direct check-in and ask for discounts as well. However, Restrain from doing this on a Peak Season which is from November till February.You will not find Places to stay if you choose to do it offline.
If you’re on a tight budget and looking to meet other voyagers check in to one of the best backpacker hostels in Goa. These are some of the best budget places to stay in Goa
Budget Places where you can Stay in Goa
Wonderland Hostel , Anjuna : This Comfy Stay is the closest to the beach in Anjuna as well as the flea market and the beach parties.There is a community kitchen and cool hammocks to chill. You will absolutely love the location and the Hostel
Red Door Hostel, Anjuna : It has a spacious large lounge area. This place is perfect for Laid back social travellers. You will meet new people and have lunches with them.
Roadhouse Hostel , Anjuna : If you are looking for some fun in your stay. Then this place is to go for. This is one of those Places to stay which is bright and colourful with friendly, helpful staff. Moreover it is situated near the popular German Bakery in Anjuna.
If you are a solo female traveller or a group of female buddies then this is the perfect place to stay. The Hostel features a seating area where you can relax. For your comfort, you will find slippers and a hairdryer. The Yuppi Hippi Hostel Hosts Ladies Only and boasts a sun terrace and views of the sea.What more do you need?Bonus : The famous Curlies Nightclub and Bar is nearby.
Jungle Hostel , Vagator
If you want to find Jungle amidst thousand of beaches. Then Jungle Hostel is the place to be. This hostel is situated in a serene, jungle spot off the main road to Vagator Beach. It’s a great place to meet fellow travelers and just hangout.
Pappi Chulo , Vagator : If you love to take photographs, then this place is for you. This hostel has funky pictures and murals on the walls, comfy dorms and funky communal areas
This is the place to be if you want to be in the heart of all the action in North Goa. Backpacker Panda is a famous chain of hostels that is expanding quickly all over India . It is popular amongst youth. Its just 100 meters from Candolim Beach
Zostel Hostel, Calangute : Zostel Hostel is situated in a heritage home which is converted into an artsy and spacious hostel in the heart of all the action in Calangute.
If you are on a Vacation with your Family, then these places to stay in goa are the most favorite and popular . And If you’re planning to stay for a long time then check into a hotel for the starting few days and then wander the area look for the ‘house to rent’ signs.
Oxygen Palolem, Palolem
Oxygen Palolem is situated in the north side of Palolem Beach. This place is best known for its prime location. Agonda beach is 5 km from Oxygen Palolem, while Cola Beach is 8 km from the property. The Ultra Luxurious spacious pine wood huts are placed in such a way that total privacy is ensured. Each Ultra Luxury wooden huts have 36 square metres private lawn to Relax, Party. Enjoy open and calm free space with your family in privacy.
Fact : Palolem is the most beautiful beach in South Goa with lots of colourful, basic beach huts. Patem and Agonda are also some of the quiet beaches, good for budget travellers. One of the most famous South Goa beaches is Palolem, which is a white sand beach, and about 40 km from Margao, a key Goan city. Palolem is also a nice hub if you like nightlife and par.
- Marroon Sea View Resort, Palolem Beach: This is the Place to stay for the unbeatable beach/sea views. The food and drink is great and very reasonably priced. The staff is extremely friendly.
Sterling Goa , Varca
This is the place where Vasco Da Gama discovered the sea route to India. Head out to the Varca beach, which is just a stone’s throw away, indulge in cruises and dolphin watching, or revitalize yourself within the luxurious resort with the amenities and our staff at your service
- Sonesta Inns ,Candolim is among the boutique beach resorts in Goa with one of a kind villas offering a stay for the budget friendly tourists. It is the best place for family looking for a comfortable stay, without having to spend heavily.
- The Rivasa, Calangute This is those places to stay which is among the budget beach resorts in Goa. The Rivasa is comfortable and pocket friendly resort and located in the happening Calangute beach. Without compromising on the quality, Rivasa offers a pleasant stay in Goa – all at an affordable price.
OffBeat Things that will blow your mind and you must not miss to do in Goa
We all know, Goa is best chosen for Visiting Churches, Indulging in Water Sports , Casino Cruises and of course lazying around on Shacks on the Beaches. Apart from these, there are various other things to do in Goa. There are some offbeat things that Goa has to offer.
Let’s take a look at what things have been on the radar for new tourist flocking in Goa
Goan Backwaters – Go Crab Catching
Crab Catching is a sport. Not literally! You can try your hands in catching these crabs using homemade nets called ‘Kobblem. But You need to set up traps for the crabs and catch them in the Goan backwaters or the sea side.Lately There are multiple crab catching tours happening in Goa. You must participate in this fun little adventure. There are certain beaches where you can spot Starfish.Only if you are lucky enough!
What to do when you have no- thing to do Go for Cruising in Goa
Goa tourism has set a different plan for their Tourist.There are various Cruisies that runs on the Mandovi river during daytime, sunset, and moonlight. There are two cruises for day time
- Panaji jetty down the Mandovi into the Zuari bay
- Mandovi to Aldona and a mineral water spring.
This is one the most popular things to do in Goa. And why not? Who doesn’t love to see dolphins running in water. The cruises for sightseeing Dolphins usually start from Fort Aguada, Sinquerim or Panaji Jetty
Goan Backwaters – Go Kayaking and JetSkiing
You might have done Motor rides, Paragliding, Swimming and Banana rides. But have you tried Kayaking in Goan Backwaters. Kayaking is one of the offbeat things to do that you could enjoy in Goa. There’s nothing like rowing across the beautiful creeks crossing the villages of northern Goa. Row along the shore or into the sea with your family or friends and enjoy nature at it’s tranquil best and carve some beautiful memories. Eventually You will fall in love with the sports.
Retreat yourself with holistic treatment | Yoga in Goa
When on a leisure trip, indulge on some amazing Yoga Retreats. You can learn different forms of yoga from experts in their respective disciplines. When it comes to eating, some of these centres provide organic restaurant.Some of the retreats also have optional evening activities like full moon and candlelight meditations, and yoga movie.
Below are some of the Best Yoga centres in North Goa and South Goa
- Banyan Tree Yoga
- Kranti Yoga
- Aashiyana Yoga Resort
- Satsanga Retreat
Firstly, Goa is one of the Most lovable places to visit in India. The most happening places for a vacation . Secondly, Its is a must visit place atleast once in a lifetime.
If you have any other Places to Visit in Goa or any other Beaches in Goa. Please let me know in the comments. Please like and Share