It is that time of the year and You don’t want to cook the same old traditional Christmas dishes like Roast turkey, Holiday Pie, Fruit Cake, Mashed Potatoes, Christmas Pudding etc. Yes, we love them too. But a variety is needed. Moreover, There are people out there who prefer Vegetarian delights. I have come up with a list of Indian Vegetarian dishes specially for Christmas. These are our all-time favorite recipes so that you have everything you need to make a crowd-pleasing feast. So why not break from the usual and look toward Indian cuisine for inspiration in this Christmas? I have a feeling these dishes will make this years December 25 tastier than ever before.
Vegetarian dishes are not just Pastas and Salads, especially during Christmas Party one must be well prepared with new recipes. Try out one of these recipes and poll your guests—they’ll tell you themselves!
Best 5 Vegetarian Indian dishes for Christmas Eve with Recipes
Barbequed Paneer Kebab | Cottage Cheese Kebab
This dish is relatively simple and can be cooked ahead of time. It can be grilled when you are ready to eat. People normally cook Barbeque Chicken. But this dish which is vegetarian is an alternative during Christmas for barbeque lovers.
Time needed: 30 minutes.
4 Easy Steps to make Paneer Kebab
- Mix the yogurt or curd with the coriander, cumin, chili and turmeric powders . Add garlic paste and salt to taste. Whisk to get a smooth paste.
- Add the cubes of Paneer or Cottage Cheese to this paste and coat well. Let it marinate for several hours
- Add alternate cubes of paneer with the cherry tomatoes and green bell peppers squares in a wooden Barbeque skewers.
- Grill on a barbecue or in the oven until the vegetables are soft as per your liking. The Paneer will barely take any time to get cooked
- Garnish with Coriander chutney / dip and Lemon
Samosas are famous Indian Snack. It is Zayn Maliks favorite Indian Snack apart from Biryani. It is a Triangle shaped cone with spiced potato stuffed.
DIY Vegetarian Samosas for your next Christmas Party
- Mix all purpose flour with the ghee and salt to taste. Make a firm and smooth dough. Keep aside.You will need it to make the Triangular cone with it
- In a pan, heat Fortune oil and add cumin seeds, coriander, turmeric, red chili, raw mango, and garam masala powders . Fry it for few seconds.
- Add Boiled Mashed Potatoes to this mixture. Season it with salt. Mix it well
- Divide the dough you made into golf ball-sized portions. On a floured surface, roll each ball out into a circle. Cut each circle of rolled dough into 2 with a sharp knife.
- Take one semi-circle. Fold it into a cone. Seal the edges with a bit of water.Press it gently and seal it.
- Fill this cone 3/4th full with the spiced potato filling made earlier.
- Seal the Cone and Deep fry the Samosas in Pan.
- Fry it till it becomes light brown or golden and Drain extra oil on a Tissue paper.
Use the rest of the dough to make more samosas. Serve hot with Chutney or Tomato Ketchup
Onion Ring Fritters or Onion Pakoras
Pakoras are little fritters that are the perfect Vegetarian Indian dish for Christmas Eve. You can make it with any vegetable you like, such as cauliflower or potato , Spinach leaves, etc
Easy Steps to make Indian Vegetarian Fritters for Christmas Party
- Take gram flour , Add a little water at a time. Make a slightly thick batter (slightly thicker than pancake batter). Add Cumin, Turmeric, Red chilly , Pepper powder .Add salt to taste. Add chopped parsley(optional
- Slice Onions or Potatoes in thin pieces. Do not chop it fine.
- Add these Vegetables to the batter.Coat it nicely with the batter
- Preheat oil in a Pan and reduce the flame to medium. This will let the bhajias to cook well both on the outside and inside
- Add the coated Vegetables and deep fry till golden
Serve it hot with Tomato Ketchup or Mint and Parsley chutney. For best combination serve it with Tea
I rely on getting Gram Flours from Well known brands as they dont get spoilt easily
Hara bhara kabab
A tasty alternative for people who love kebabs but are vegetarian, Hara bhara kabab gets its name and the green color from the spinach in it. It’s a delightful Indian snack that includes spinach and green peas. It is healthy and yummy at the same time . You can use fresh or frozen veggies for the patties. This Vegetarian delight is amongst healthy dishes that can be cooked for a Christmas eve specially for Kids.
Steps to make Hara Bhara Kebab
- Boil the potatoes, peas, and spinach. Drain them well so the excess water does not make the recipe watery
- Take a Bowl. Mash the Potatoes, Peas and Spinach nicely so that it can be made into a Patty.
- Add Chopped Parsley, Grated Ginger, Cumin Powder, Pepper powder.
- Add Salt. Mix all these ingredients well.
- Keep the bowl in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Remove after an hour and make circular Patties of medium size
- Heat the oil in a wok or in a heavy pan .
- Shallow-fry the kababs until they are a little crisp on each side.
Serve it with Mint Chutney or Mayonnaise
Paneer Manchurian dry
It is an Indian Chinese Dish loved by all in Indians. It is a must try for a new fusion dish. If you love Cottage cheese, Indian food and chinese food both, then I am sure this recipe is for you.
Paneer manchurian dry is usually eaten as a starter snack. Also You don’t need any other dip or accompaniment to go along with this dish. Since the sweet as well as tangy sauce, coats the paneer cubes very well. You can replace the Paneer with Boiled Chicken, Unboiled Potatoes or Tofu or Cauliflower.
Steps to make Paneer Manchurian Dry
- Chop the onions and bell pepper(Red , Green and Yellow) into 1 inch squares.
- Finely chop the ginger, garlic, green chilies and as well as celery.
- Dice paneer in cubes. Add them to a mixing bowl
- Add ½ tsp red chili powder, ½ tsp pepper powder, ½ salt and 2 tbsp corn starch. Gently shake, toss and mix well
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan
- Add the paneer cubes till it becomes golden brown and crisp. Fry it in batches .Remove the Paneer aside
- Now Add the chopped onions, bell peppers, ginger, green chilies, garlic and celery in the same pan.
- On a medium flame stir fry the veggies. Cook till the bell peppers are half cooked.
- add ½ tbsp soy sauce, 1½ tbsp tomato ketchup, some salt, red chili powder and black pepper and corn starch paste.
- stir well and allow to simmer on a medium flame till the sauce thickens
- once the paneer manchurian dip or sauce has thickened, then add the pan fried paneer cubes
- stir again very well so that the sauce coats the paneer cubes evenly.
- add ½ tsp vinegar or apple cider vinegar. You can get Apple cider vinegar from here
Serve dry paneer manchurian hot. Garnished with celery or some spring onion greens.
Let me know which of these are your favorite!
Also Read about | How to Travel consciously and use Eco friendly Green Travel Products?