A Traditional Christmas Dinner is normally comprised of Mashed Potatoes, Turkey stuffed with a lot of food , Roast Ham . Desserts consists of Apple Pie , Fruit Cake, Christmas Pudding. And Communities across the world cook different delicacies during Christmas and New Years Eve. However there are some constants. We all know that Christmas is so full of wonder, meaning and tradition. People look forward to Social gatherings where one can have real talks and binge on some amazing food. Read on to find out what Traditional and Non Traditional chicken dishes that can be cooked for Christmas and NYE dinner.
Types of Food around the world during Christmas Eve
Christmas food in Australia
In Australia, Christmas actually comes in towards the beginning of the summer holidays! Childrens have their summer holidays from mid December to early February, hence some people might even be camping at Christmas. Sounds different . It is! But what do they eat during this merry time ?
- Barbecue with seafood , prawns and lobsters
- Traditional English Food
- Traditional Christmas pudding
What do Germans eat during Christmas dinner
During Christmas , in Germany children write to the ‘das Christkind/Christkindl’ asking for gifts and presents. Another tradition of Germans is the Sternsinger (or star singers) who go from house to house. They sing a song and collect money for charity
- Carp or Goose are often served for the main Christmas and New Years eve meal
- Stollen is a popular fruited yeast bread eaten especially in Christmas eve
New Year’s and Christmas Dinner in UK
The most famous Christmas lights in the UK are found in Oxford Street, London. Every year it gets bigger and better. Hundreds of people go to watch the big ‘switch on’ around the beginning of November. It is a must thing to do when in Europe and UK
- Meals consumed are Roast Turkey
- Roast vegetarian side dishes
- All the trimmings’ that means vegetables like carrots & peas, stuffing and sometimes bacon and sausages. It’s often eaten with cranberry sauce and bread sauce
- Brussel sprouts.
- Mince pies and lots of chocolates
- Tipsy Laird – Authentic Scottish desert / a type of trifle
- Christmas pudding
One of the largest Indian Christian Communities in a city is in Goa and Mumbai. A lot of the Christians in Mumbai are Roman Catholics. In Hindi it is said as Happy/Merry Christmas and ‘Śubh krisamas’
Indians eat the below feasts
Neureos – small pastries which are stuffed with dry fruit and coconut and fried
Dodol – toffee that has coconut and cashew in it
Vegetarian side dishes
Christmas is better known as ‘Jól’ (Yule) in Iceland. It actually comes from the ancient winter solstice celebrations, that were taken over by the early Christians. Jól also includes the New Year celebrations.
The main Jól meal is ‘Hangikjöt’, which is a leg of roast lamb.
‘Rjúpa’ (Rock Ptarmigan a gamebird) is also eaten.
Laufabrauð’ or leaf bread. This is made of thin sheets of dough cut into delicate patterns and fried
What do USA eat during Christmas and New Years Eve dinner party ?
The United States of America has many different cultures, traditions and ways that people celebrate Christmas, because of its multi-cultural nature.
- The traditional meal for Western European families is turkey or ham with cranberry sauce
- Some communities prefer turkey with trimmings
- keilbasi (a Polish sausage)
- cabbage dishes
These are obviously traditional dishes that has been cooked during Christmas dinners and New Years Eve. And Rather than hosting a full meal at this Christmas dinner and New years party , try making appetizers , new chocolate recipes like Chocolate Dumpling ,Chocolate pizza and finger foods. It will cut down on a lot of work and also the mess of forks and knives. Above all you done even need to sacrifice good food. Need to eat only vegetarian appetizers for this Christmas ? Try Cottage Cheese Kebab, Onion Ring Fritters, Paneer Manchurian dry, etc. These are totally vegetarian side dishes born out of India
Kimchi is another famous Vegetarian Korean traditional cuisine that can be eaten during Christmas. It is really healthy food, one can actually get it in any grocery online store. I got it once from Dabur, absolutely loved. Must try atleast once
List of Non Traditional Chicken Dishes for New Years Eve Dinner and Christmas
Stir Fried Chilli Chicken
Because Chicken and chilli are BFF. I bring you the best of the best in just 15 minutes! So try the unusual dishes and cook up a storm in your kitchen with this amazingly delicious simple chilli chicken for your this years Christmas dinner.
How to Make Stir Fried Chilli Chicken in Oriental style
- Add Edible Oil in a Pan. Add chopped Ginger ,garlic, green and red chillies. These are Essential Indian Spices you will get in a grocery store near by. Saute.
- Add the washed chopped chicken and let it cook for few minutes. Coat the chicken with all the garlic, ginger and chillies. Add a little salt to it. Toss.
- Once the chicken is almost cooked, Add Heinz chilli sauce, tomato puree, soya sauce and a bit of sugar. Cook till the sauce starts to reduce.
- Add basil and parsley, Broccoli, Cabbage for seasoning. Stir.
- Serve it hot. No Joke, this will be over in seconds
This is a Christmas Party food that will please your guests . You may get recipe requests for sure. It is a Thai appetizer with Indian touch that’s downright delicious and pairs perfectly with a tangy peanut sauce. A quintessential and downright delicious Thai appetizer, served with a chunky peanut sauce. And New years Eve deserves them
How to Make Chicken Satay
- Take a bowl, add peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, garlic, curry powder and hot pepper sauce. Place the chicken breasts in the marinade and refrigerate.
- Let the chicken marinate at least 2 hours.
- Preheat a grill to heat
- Weave the chicken onto a skewers. Then grill for 5 minutes per side.
- For the peanut sauce:
- Sweat off the onions, ginger, lemon grass and lime leaves in a Pot
- Add crushed peanuts and red chilli paste. Mix in the some powdered sugar.
- Lastly add the coconut milk
- Simmer and blend. Season to taste.
- Serve the Chicken Satay with the Peanut Sauce
Tangri Kebabs or Chicken Drumstick
Our delicious Tangdi Kebabs or Chicken Drumsticks are microwave-friendly and too good to be served as one of the dishes for christmas dinner. Serve these Tangri Kebabs with some raw onion rings, mint leaves and lemon wedges.
How to Make Tangri Kebabs
- Prick the chicken drumsticks with a fork or make slashes with a knife.
- Mix together Hung yogurt, Ginger paste,Garlic paste , Salt, Chilli powder, Garam masala, chopped green chillies , coriander powder and chopped coriander on chicken
- Leave it marinated for 4-5 hours, or best overnight.
- Place a saucer in a dish and arrange the drumsticks over it in a circle, with the thicker sides outwards.
- Cover and cook at HI for 5 minutes, and then 3 minutes turning it once.
- Uncover and cook at HI for 2 Minutes. Let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve it with onion rings and lemon wedges on the side.
Cute-sized pieces of chicken that are sure to be a family and New years party favorite. I love to serve it with homemade mashed potatoes and mayonnaise. For Vegetarians, one can substitute Chicken with Cauliflower and Rest of the dishes recipe remains the same you are ready for a vegetarian food to eat for dinner in christmas. Cauliflower Popcorns are one of the best vegetarian side dish for Veg Lovers
Steps to make Chicken Popcorn at Home as one of the starter dishes for Christmas and NYE dinner party
- Mix All purpose flour, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper together in a bowl. Beat whole eggs and lemon juice together in a separate bowl.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a large pot or wok over medium heat.
- Dip the small chicken pieces into the flour mixture, then into the egg mixture, and again into the flour mixture.
- Test the oil to make sure it is hot enough.
- Place 10 pieces of chicken into the hot oil. Cook the chicken until golden brown for about 6 minutes.
- Remove from the oil and drain on a paper towel. Now Repeat with remaining chicken. Serve it with Mint dip
Chicken Malai kebab | Reshmi Kebab
Chicken Malai Kebab is an easy-to-make appetizer cum side dish recipe that you can prepare for your family and friends on occasions like Christmas party, New Years Eve and Birthday parties
Recipe to make Chicken Malai Kebab
- Wash the boneless chicken properly and cut them into bite sized pieces. Marinate the chicken by applying black pepper powder, vinegar, ginger garlic paste, lemon juice and salt. Let it sit for an hour in the fridge
- Add coriander leaves, red, green chillies and garlic pods to a mixer and make a thin paste. Do not add any water.
- Also Add thick yogurt and fresh cream, grated cheese, crushed cardamom, garlic powder, coriander and green chilli paste from mixer, corn flour and oil in a bowl . Mix it well.
- Pour this cheesy creamy marinade on the chicken pieces. Cover the chicken pieces completely. Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Keep the chicken coated with creamy cheesy marinade is fridge for at least 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, start putting the chicken pieces on skewers. Put this skewer in a tandoor or a griller. Cook the chicken pieces for 5 minutes. Take out the chicken pieces carefully when done, and hang them on a bar.
- Brush them with butter and refined oil and put the chicken pieces back in tandoor and cook till they get light golden in colour.
- Chicken Malai Kebab is a ready, garnish it with lemon juice, Mint and coriander dip